Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

The Infamous "Hawaiian Punch" Incident

Setting: My kitchen
Age: 3

For many children, colored drinks are a sugary dream that you can only wish to get to taste. I was one of these children. Being 3, the only fruit punch I ever had was in the form of Triaminic. I don't do well with liquid medicines, so this was not a fun trade-off for me. (Did anyone else have to take the pepto-bismol looking medicine that was "bubble gum" flavored? Traumatizing!)

One day, the two sisters were in town and unloading groceries with my 3 brothers. As you can imagine, we go through a ton of food. My siblings discovered that my parents had bought the Family Size bottle of ketchup, and decided to have a little fun.

When I was little, I enjoyed going through the groceries and pretended I was the cashier as I de-bagged everything and put them back in the shelves. As I was pretending to do this in my merry little world, my brothers handed me a bowl filled with red almost-liquid. The fact that the red almost-liquid was in a bowl should have been a warning sign, as well as the fact that it was almost-liquid. However, my three year old mind had no idea what was to come. When they handed me the bowl, they said, "Here Katy! Have some Hawaiian Punch!" I was ecstatic. I, 3-year-old Katy, was going to get to have Hawaiian Punch. I didn't even think about my lack of trust for my siblings- I went for it! I ate the whole bowl, with a spoon I believe, in record time. I was so happy- I was on Cloud 9.

Years later, I was told of this story as "The Time Katy Ate a Whole Bowl of Ketchup." Little did I know that it was not Hawaiian Punch, but that it was the majority of a Family Size bottle of Heinz 57.

Surprisingly, I still like ketchup.

No comments:

Post a Comment