Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Test Day... Dun dun dun

Today was test day. Last night we were told that it was 30 minutes earlier. We get a wake up "call" from a friend yelling downstairs that she was wrong and it is actually the time we were originally told. But, of course, half of the students had already left because they wanted to go study at the school. We thought they were going too early, so we stayed at the hotel until closer to class-time so that everyone else wouldn't get us freaked out about the test. The test ended up not being the worst thing ever, but I know there were some things that I got wrong.

For lunch, we all piled onto the bus to go to a pizza place that was LITERALLY around the corner. Then, the bus couldn't park on the street and ended up waiting for us at the school's parking lot. Silly silly. But the pizza place was great. Pizza pizza pizza... and then.. an unexpected dessert of CREPES with NUTELLA. It had ice cream too, chocolate, but that did not matter to me. It was amazing, and tasted exactly how they do in Paris. It brought back that horrible addiction that I had in Europe, only I could only have one crepes. The girls around me only ate a few bites- but I went for it. You don't hand an ex-addict a nutella crepe and expect them to care about how many calories it has. It was fabulous.

Afterward, we went to Nature Air, which is a really cool airline that is the first carbon-neutral airline in the world. Basically, they fly small, twin-engine planes that have a max of 18-19 passengers. Each passenger has a specific weight limit of baggage, and if you go over they WILL NOT allow you to get on the plane with it. This is because they really can't put any more weight on the plane. We even saw a group of male fishers that encountered this problem and were trying to figure out what to do. Also, if you are over a certain weight you have to buy two tickets. All-in-all, this was a really cool company that was taking care of the environment serious. To be carbon neutral (since even thought these planes are better--they aren't perfect) they help fund a certain amount of eco-protection projects (like rainforest preservation) to make themselves neutral. I really learned a lot from this company. I keep thinking- but it isn't a perfect airline- but that is based off of the luxury that we are provided from our non-eco friendly airlines. It really made me think about what we take for granted and think is necessary that harms our environment. While I am not about to give up a lot of the things I love (like driving), it really makes me think that we need to reconsider how we view our lives.. I think I just repeated trains of thought but that was the best way I could express myself. :)

After Nature Air, we were supposed to visit HP. We got all pumped up and ended up at the wrong HP office, apparently. This time of day the traffic is worse than what I expect NYC's traffic. We attempted to go to the other office, and made it about a mile in an hour. Sean entertained us during this time, but needless to say we ended up turning back. We cancelled our group dinner to try to go to this, and ended up doing neither. When we got back, everyone was planning to go out for dinner, which meant waiting 2-3 hours before getting food. By this point, my carb/sugar crash from pizza and nutella crepes had hit my body full-force, and I needed food pronto. So, Patrick, Mary, and I went to a nearby soda (a Costa Rican walk up cafe type thing). We ordered meat and rice dishes called casada, which means marriage in Spanish. It is called Casada because it is like the food is having a marriage. They are cute. It was really filling (and cheap), so we came back from eating (before everyone else even left for dinner), did classwork, and then went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment