Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Last Full Day In Costa Rica

So, I am actually writing this post in March. I thought I finished all of my Costa Rican blogging, but I failed and didn't. Here is what I remember best from my last full day and then the travel-day home:

Thursday:
Went to class, and went over the last couple chapters for our class. We joked a lot because it was about Women in Leadership, and said that since we weren't testing over it, obviously our teacher didn't think Women in Leadership is important. This is completely wrong, but made us laugh. It was a really enjoyable day for class. After class, a bunch of us went downtown to an artisan market to by some crafty-looking/stereotypical souvenirs. I think I am kind of over souvenirs, because I only bought a keychain* and a magnet. Oh, and some really cool earrings made out of old Costa Rican coins.

Later that night, we decided we would still have the dinner that got cancelled the night before. The hotel helped us rent a bus for the night, which we discovered was MUCH cheaper than taxis. The bus took us up a HUGE hill/mountain for about an hour, and then we realized we couldn't find it. Costa Rica really needs to learn about the beautiful invention: addresses. We ended up making it, and the restaurant had a gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous view of the whole valley lit up at night. We also caught the tail-end of a dancing performance which looked like a lot of fun. I truly love latin dancing! Also, to keep us entertained during the bus ride, we all sang. Patrick sang a lot, because we all love hearing him sing. Then Emily joined in, in which I started to harmonize. They then discovered I could sing, so Emily and I sang and Alicia Keys song (I think). It was fun to sing- it is a hobby I truly miss. This group has really helped me get out of my comfort zone, and I greatly appreciate it.

The rest of the day/night involved packing everything up and hanging out with others on the patio.

Friday:

The next morning, everyone started leaving. A lot of us were on the same plane, so we rented a van (again, much cheaper than taxis), and headed to the airport. It was a beautiful last day. The radio was even celebrating with us by playing a mix of 90s songs for us.

The plane ride was just fine as far as I can remember. It was weird to be on the plane with everyone, not sitting together, and knowing who they were. A complete turnaround from the plane ride to Costa Rica. When we got to the airport, customs took their sweet little time and so did immigration. Then so did security. I literally ran my heart out to my gate (after waiting on the train to get to my terminal that was moving way too slow). I got to the gate, and there was only one person in sight. The door was already shut. This was very reminiscent of my day-trip to D.C., and I thought there was no way I was going to make it on the plane this time. However, I was wrong. Apparently, Anna had told them I was coming, because she was one of the last to board. They asked if any other people were coming from Costa Rica. If it weren't for her, the amazing person at the end of the hall by the plane wouldn't have seen me looking in the window about to cry.

( I would like to say that as I was running, a man on a Gator-cart asked me where I was headed and told me to hurry- he thought it was already gone. Did he ask to take me down there? Nope. I decided I was too antsy anyway and my adrenaline was pushing me, my backpack, and 40 pound suitcase with higher horsepower than the Gator-cart had. I was better off running and sweating.)

On the plane, we ended up waiting for a very long time, without a/c. I was disgusting- hot, sweaty, and pumping with adrenaline. I don't think the guy next to me noticed though. He was quite the chatter bug. He was from Louisana- and was a very stereotypical "Bayou-man." After noticing he was trying to send very inappropriate messages from the air (without service, while flying--NOT supposed to have a phone on), I decided to not really let him talk to me anymore. That was a wise decision.

Then, outside the window, was that beautiful Tulsa night sky. I was home, and I was happy. (Of course I was even happier once I got my Taco Bell on the way home.)

:)

*Sadly, this keychain is now almost none existent. It was a chain with really colorful beads hanging off of it, and the very bottom bead is a heart. Now all that remain are a few beads and the heart. If it were a dog, this dog would have one of those really bad allergies to Grass and only have patches of hair randomly placed on its body. That is now how I view my sad, formerly really fun and cute, keychain. I apparently have bad luck with keychains, because my last one fell off in the parking lot outside and I have yet to see it again.

1 comment:

  1. YOU ALSO BOUGHT YOUR BIG A DOUBLE SHOT GLASS! come on now Katy.

    You really have terrible luck with planes. It makes me glad we are driving to Florida and not flying.

    ReplyDelete