Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Beach Bums

Well, I am finally free from the millions of tests I had last week! I feel like I had an actual finals week, not mid-terms. But, that means no work for Katy over spring break! We left on Friday a little after my last midterm. I was somehow still awake, so I decided to drive for the first 2 hours of the trip. Then it was to be crash time. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to sleep no matter what I tried, and enjoyed some good laughter and music for the first leg of the trip. I was finally able to sleep for a little bit, but then it was dinner time.

For dinner, we stopped at some Burger King. We quickly realized that we weren't in Oklahoma anymore. The workers accents were 10 times what ours were, and they had some issues getting my order in. But, that is just my luck anywhere that I order food. When we walked outside, roommate realized we weren't in the best part of town. We went to a gas station across the street, and there were a wide array of items- from car parts, to hair accessories and tall-tees, to questionably legal items. There was also a man walking around the store drinking a bottle of vodka. The man then continued to walk outside while passing 3 middle school aged children. It was all normal to them. We were all thrown off.

We kept on driving, and I finally fell asleep around 1 am with the help of country music. I woke up a little bit through the night, but was good until we stopped at an Ihop for breakfast at 6 Oklahoma time, 7 Georgia time. I had a lot of fun trying to figure out the state nicknames and making references to their state according to the nickname. I had the most fun with Arkansas being the "Natural State." We arrived in Tampa area with some time to spare, so we stopped and ate by the water. I had shrimp tacos- and they were amazing! I love fresh seafood! Oklahoma just can't get it as fresh as they can here.

The past few days have been great. Our house is AMAZING, and we are two houses down from the beach. It has been great to go outside as soon as I wake up and look for fun things on the beach. We have been cooking our food here to save money, but today Mallori and I walked down to a beach restaurant called Caddy's. We shared calamari, shrimp, and both had Seafood chowder. It was delicious- but the chowder was our fave. P.S.- I love clam chowder!! Panera only has it on Friday's now which makes me sad.

I was just trying to figure out what else we have done, and just overheard Mallori say, "Just doing nothing by being a beach bum." This pretty much sums up our time here-- but it has been perfect!!

No comments:

Post a Comment