Pages

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Weird Wednesday

Going to the dentist is always one of the most awkward situations one can ever face. I have been going to the same dentist my whole life, yet it is inevitable that I will always feel really weird.

I can get over the whole, "someone is staring at my teeth for 30 minutes" thing, but there are two things that I just can't:

When the dentist asks you questions while they have their hands in your mouth.
     For one, this is rude. It is like trying to make someone talk with their mouth full. While it can be funny at moments, it is generally not socially acceptable. But then it is also rude to not answer. I never really quite know what to do.. do I wait for them to pull out their hands? Do I let out a grunt to warn them I am going to attempt speaking? Or do I just go for it, spitting and mumbling all over the place? They didn't teach me this etiquette in grade school. I feel like it is a sick joke that they teach dental students; they need something to break up the monotony of x-rays and fluoride treatments.


When the dentist gives you sunglasses and tilts the bright light right in your face, leaving you two options for your eyes: 1. Look at the dentist's eyes or 2. Close your eyes. 
      Sure, they give you sunglasses. These aren't polarized though, so the eyes are definitely visible. I definitely don't want to pull the Steve Martin awkward 5 minute stare (I showed this a few posts ago). But then I don't want to close my eyes because I want to know what tools they are potentially going to stab my tongue with. 


If only they would still give me stickers... then it would all be worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment