Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Hungry for more games

*I actually wrote this a week ago, and didn't post it because I fail.

So, this past week and a half, I have had freedom from tests- and it has been WONDERFUL. But, what has kept me away?

After Spring Break, I read The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. I started during Spring Break, but was much too distracted by the beach, endless sun, and beautiful turquoise water to read. I read one chapter. MAYBE two. After I read it, I had to ground myself from borrowing the next two books from roommate, because I had school to worry about.

You should know, I have a problem. I love to read. Yes, everyone and their mom loves to read. But I get consumed by it. That is why you really won't see me reading too often, because if I do I won't get anything else done. And I mean it. I cut meals short. I don't hang out with friends. I forget to bathe (meaning I have to cut into the little bit of sleep time I allotted myself so that I won't drive people away from me with a forcefield of odor and grime). People come to talk to me in my room- and I don't know what to say.

I don't know what to say because all I can think about is the book. Which has been my life for the past week and a half. I ungrounded myself, and started reading Catching Fire (the second book in the hunger games). It was fabulous. I don't even know how I read it so fast (5 days), because I worked a full 20 hour week, went to all my classes, and it was initiation week for the Sorority. I read it really fast, to say the least.

It was great- but once it was over I knew I needed to make human contact and be a real citizen for a while. So, I didn't start the next book. Not until the next day, that is. I felt like I read this one slower, however- I finished it faster (last night). I even forced myself to take longer breaks to eat and talk with friends. I would like to note though, that when I was not in break time I reverted back to the mute confused girl who had nothing to say to her friends who hadn't seen her in a while. Because my life turns in to the book.

I am in a slight postpartum depression now, only instead of birthing a child I finished a book. Now that I don't have anything left of the story to read, I just don't know what to do. I can't wait till the movie comes out (in roughly a year-ish), but until then- I must become a normal person again until I find time and a new book to immerse myself in.

No comments:

Post a Comment